Return to list of success criteria
2.1.4 Character Key Shortcuts [Level A]
If a keyboard shortcut is implemented in content using only letter (including upper- and lower-case letters), punctuation, number, or symbol characters, then at least one of the following is true:
- Turn off
- A mechanism is available to turn the shortcut off;
- A mechanism is available to remap the shortcut to use one or more non-printable keyboard characters (e.g. Ctrl, Alt, etc);
- Active only on focus
- The keyboard shortcut for a user interface component is only active when that component has focus.
Back to top
- Users have a way to turn off single-key shortcuts
- A mechanism is provided to allow users to change character-key shortcuts. The remapping
mechanism includes non-printing characters. The alternative shortcuts could be longer
strings of up to 25 characters that would directly serve as native speech commands
for any speech engine.
- Failure of Success Criteria 2.1.4 due to a webpage or web app that includes single-key
shortcuts not including a control that allows users to turn the shortcuts off or a
control that allows users to change the shortcuts to key combinations that include
keys that are not upper or lower-case letters, punctuation, number, or symbol characters.
Back to top