1.4.5: Images of Text [AA]
The image of text can be visually customized to the user's requirements;
A particular presentation of text is essential to the information being conveyed.
Logotypes (text that is part of a logo or brand name) are considered essential.
Sufficient Techniques for Success Criterion 1.4.5
Note: Other techniques may also be sufficient if they meet the success criterion. See Understanding Techniques.
- C22: Using CSS to control visual presentation of text
- C30: Using CSS to replace text with images of text and providing user interface controls to switch
- G140: Separating information and structure from presentation to enable different presentations
- PDF7: Performing OCR on a scanned PDF document to provide actual text
Advisory Techniques for Success Criterion 1.4.5
Failures for Success Criterion 1.4.6
- F24: Failure of Success Criterion 1.4.3, 1.4.6 and 1.4.8 due to specifying foreground colors without specifying background colors or vice versa
- F83: Failure of Success Criterion 1.4.3 and 1.4.6 due to using background images that do not provide sufficient contrast with foreground text (or images of text)